Queen Mary University of London's (QMUL) new Confucius Institute, a collaboration between QMUL and Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE), aims to strengthen educational, cultural, and business links between London and Shanghai, two leading financial centres, by facilitating student and staff exchanges, academic collaboration and joint research; providing courses in Chinese Language and Culture; and promoting collaborations in the areas of finance and economics.The Institute was established in September 2015 with support from Hanban, Confucius Institute Headquarters, which is responsible for promoting Chinese language and culture abroad.
Chinese Language and Culture Courses 2017-2018
Check out our timetable of Chinese Language and Culture Courses 2017-2018 [PDF 235KB]
Check out our Dates and Fees 2017 - 2018
- General Syllabus : Chinese Language & Culture Ia; Chinese Language & Culture Ib; Chinese Language & Culture IIa; Chinese Language & Culture IIb: Chinese Language & Culture IIIa; Chinese Language & Culture IIIb
- Apply for your course
Why study Mandarin Chinese?
- you may be interested in the language and culture as a student of language yourself;
- you may be planning to visit China and/or take part in an exchange programme;
- you may wish to improve your employability on graduating from QMUL by demonstrating your international attributes;
- you may be teaching or studying on one of QMUL's joint programmes in Beijing or Nanchang.
Whatever your reason, you will find a friendly welcome at the Institute, and classes which will quickly help to improve your language skills.
- We also offer one-to-one private lessons for those who wish to study Mandarin Chinese for Specific Purposes, or need individual tuition for other reasons.
Confucius Institute Scholarships
Working with Business
Strongly underpinned by both institutions' research in the areas of economics and finance, and drawing on the academic expertise of QMUL and SUFE, the QMUL Confucius Institute offers bespoke language, customs and doing business in China courses for professionals and executives in the business community preparing for a stay in China. Our experienced staff can visit your premises to deliver training, or arrangements can be made for individuals or small groups to visit the QMUL campus.
A key component of the work of the QMUL Confucius Institute is to work with in and around East London to promote Chinese language learning & teaching, and a wider understanding of Chinese culture. Our trained Chinese language teachers are able to visit your school to deliver an agreed programme to suit your needs, or alternatively, school groups are very welcome to visit the QMUL campus.
Please contact the Confucius Institute for further information.